WELCOME TO THE NEW PLANT LIFE BLOG! We hope to inspire and motivate you to live a naturally plant-based life. To kick it off we’re giving you the easiest, make-it-yourself vegan cashew yoghurt recipe. Forget spending millions every month getting your breakfast fix – just whip up this Cashew Yog and you’re good to goooo! (Although, disclaimer, cashew nuts are hella expensive – but you don’t need too many, you’re probably looking at about R25 – 45 for a serving that lasts about 5 days? Not bad).
Why cashew yoghurt you ask? Well. Obviously if you are vegan or plant-based then it’s just a really nice, quick and easy way to have a filling breakfast. You can add some granola, some fresh fruits or even a cereal like the delicious Herbivore cereal – which means breakfast is ready to roll in less than a minute. It’s also really delicious in or on top of smoothies and smoothie bowls – super creamy and just fills it out nicely.
For those of you who aren’t vegan who are asking, well why on earth would someone spend R40 making cashew yoghurt (time and effort too!) instead of buying the R40 massive tub of dairy yoghurt off the shelf at Woolies? Weellllll. Here are a couple points that might give you a reason to ditch dairy completely:
1. Dairy is said to be linked to higher cancer rates. One of The Big Fat Truth‘s nutrition contributors Christine Roth, wrote a piece on the Casien-Cancer link (obviously there are many more articles and documentaries – you can watch What The Health, The Cowspiracy or even read Dr Michael Gregor’s book How Not To Die) which basically explains how the two protein components of dairy – whey and casien – the latter being the ‘worse’ of the two, and how they are shown to increase the rates of cancer in many studies across the board.
2. Lactose Intolerance. It’s been said that the world today has developed a sort of lactose-tolerance. Which means that if you cut out dairy for two months and re-introduced it then your body would revolt and you’d see very quickly some of the more immediate side-effects of having cow’s milk when we aren’t geared up to. Sinus infections, indigestion, weight gain etc – all of these are the short-term problems with including dairy in your diet.
3. Sustainability. This is probably the hardest one to swallow. And again I urge you to watch Cowspiracy and What The Health here – if you aren’t too concerned with your own well-being then maybe the future of the planet will sway you (turn up the drama factor, right?) The dairy industry is one of the largest agriculture industries in the world. It’s eating the planet, literally. Even if you cut down on something simple like swapping out normal yoghurt for cashew yoghurt, or milk for almond mylk or stopped eating cheese during the week – that alone would make a difference. All the small things matter.
Anyway – I am not here to preach. I am here to give you a delicious dairy-alternative for your breakfasts!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 3 probiotic capsules, I used Probiflora 9+ Strain Intensive
- Pinch of salt
- ½ a lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- ½ cup water
- Take the powder out of the probiotic capsules and set aside.
- Blend your soaked cashews with the remaining ingredients, with the probiotic powder in a blender until it's super smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with a clean dish towel and leave in a warm place overnight.
- Check in the next day, if you feel like the yoghurt could be more 'sour' then you can leave it up to 24 hours to ferment.
- Once it's fermented to your preference (I left mine for about 18 hours) - you can then store in a clean glass jar in the fridge for up to 5 days.