That strange time between winter and spring is weird, it demands warm breakfasts yet tank tops and sandals. I needed a bit of morning warmth, so I adapted a recipe from Prava Singh’s healthy-eating blog, Naturally Nutritious Living (www.naturallynutritiousliving.co.za).
This porridge is low carb (watch the honey), dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo, vegan and really good for you. It is full of good omegas, protein and with no animal products is good for the environment.
Coconut 2 Seed Porridge
- 1/2 cup hemp milk and 1/4 cup water or 3/4 cup plain water/other milk of choice
- 4-5 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbs flax seeds
- 2 Tsp cinnamon powder and 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Drizzle of honey
- Toppings of choice nuts/fruit
- **Note: depending on the brand and absorbency of your coconut flour you may need some more (or less) liquid.
1. Mix the hemp milk, coconut flour, cinnamon and bit of honey in a small non-stick pot and mix together on the stove-top on a medium heat.
2. Bring to a slow boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer with the lid on for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through to combine the mixture well.
3. Add the chia seeds, flax seeds and mix well. At this point the mixture will start to thicken some more and you can add as much of the water as you need to get your desired consistency.
4. Add the vanilla extract and mix through well.
5. Spoon into bowls, add a drizzle of honey and some more hemp or dairy-free milk and top with whatever you like. I used goji berries and a few hidden hemp seeds.
Eat well, do good.