Summer is here, finally! It always take a bit longer to settle into the Cape, but right now, it’s glorious. That means that all a lot of us want to eat are salads, fresh food and beautiful produce. In South Africa we are so blessed to have so much choice readily available.
Today I have done a really simple recipe, which is raw, vegan, paleo and banting; for those of you who follow specific plans. It is great as a side dish to a braai, or festive meal or added on top of other leafy greens in a salad.
Marinated Summer Greens
- 1 head broccoli or about 3-4 fistfuls of tenderstem broccoli/broccolini
- Approx 1 cup fresh peas shelled
- Approx 1-2 cups brussel sprouts cut into quarters
- The juice of 2-3 large lemons
- 1-2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- Approx 1/3 - 1/2 cup olive oil
- Approx 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- The amount of liquid needed should just coat the greens plus a bit of extra juice. If you want this less 'lemoney' that use a bit less lemon juice and a bit more olive oil.
Cut up the broccolini/broccoli as you wish, perhaps remove most of the fibrous stems if that part is quite tough. Cut up the brussel sprouts as above, or into halves if you like.
Mix the olive oil, garlic, salt and lemon juice in a bowl and mix well.
Put all of the vegetables, marinade, and basil leaves into a resealable bag (e.g Ziploc) and gently massage the wet ingredients into the greens, making sure everything is coated well.
Put in the fridge overnight and serve just as is or over salad leaves.