I love pesto, it’s so fresh and light yet packs a flavour punch of note. I don’t eat grains,so pasta and pesto very seldom happens for me, but I decided to make some gluten-free pasta for this pesto. This is a slight twist on the traditional basil pesto. This pea and basil pesto is made with peas and pea shoots for a bit of protein and to get some extra greens in. This pesto makes a great accompaniment for zoodles, can be paired with some pasta (add bacon to that if you want some meat) or it can even be used as a dip.
Paleo pea and basil pesto
- Cupful of fresh basil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1-1,5 tsp salt to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh peas
- Handful of pea shoots
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Big squeeze of lemon juice this will also be to taste
- *You can adjust the above slightly if you prefer a more 'garlicky' or 'lemony' pesto.
1. Boil the peas until tender to soft, drain hot water and run cold water over them to retain colour and to cool.
2. Dry fry the pine nuts in a warm/hot pan until brown on either side and allow to cool.
3. Place all the ingredients in a blender and pulse a few times. I like my pesto a bit rough and textural, but make it as fine as you prefer.