Lexi and I have been suuuuper busy lately, which is why we have been a bit absent on the blog-front. Lexi is opening up her OWN RESTAURANT (flipping amazing : but a full launch post on that will come soon) and Kyla has been busy swimming in admin at her physio practice.
This recipe is one of my go-to pre-workout snacks to give a nice sustained hit of energy. These are dates wrapped in raw cacao with cashew butter, which is great to give you energy for training for a few reasons. The medjool dates I used here obviously provide some carbohydrates, which one needs to properly fuel a workout, plus the fibre content helps to slow down the release of the natural sugars. Raw cacao is an excellent source of magnesium & iron and gives you great energy to boost performance. The cashew butter slathered in top is for some healthy fat and to provide longer-lasting satiety, plus obviously it is delicious. Recipe below **
- Approximately 16 Medjool dates
- 100g raw cacao butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ to 1 tbs raw honey, remember the dates are sweet, so adjust accordingly
- ½ vanilla essence
- Dash of sea salt
- Enough cashew butter for 1 tsp for each date
- Melt the cacao butter and coconut oil slowly over a double boiler.
- Add the honey, vanilla and salt and stir until combined.
- Remove the pits from the dates and cover he dates in the cacao butter mixture, I just put the dates into the bowl and make sure they are coated.
- Remove dates from the cacao butter mixture, and set aside in fridge to cool for about 15 min.
- After the cacao coating has set, coat the dates in another layer of cacao butter mixture and allow to set again.
- Every time you want one, slather some cashew butter on top and enjoy!
- Recipe Notes
- * The cacao coating will be soft-ish at room temperature, so keep it cool. Otherwise adjust the amount of coconut oil slightly to make a firmer coating. I keep mine in the fridge and just layer some cashew butter on top whenever I want one.
- *Use any leftover cacao butter mixture to make raw choc bark (see recipe under sweet treats) 🙂
Pop one of these suckers before your workout and go get ‘em!